Just like babies, it’s amazing how quickly your furry friend can find his way into kitchen cabinets, bathroom vanities and laundry rooms, not to mention just about every open bag, bottle or plate left out on a table. A little “pet-proofing” goes a long way in keeping your pets safe from harmful toxins lurking around your home. For example, chocolate is extremely toxic to dogs, along with certain vitamins, cold medications and acetaminophen. Lily flowers are harmful to cats, along with household cleaners, insecticides and glow sticks.
While symptoms of poisoning vary widely depending on the type of toxin, be on the look out for vomiting, diarrhea, excessive drooling, coughing up blood, pale gums, lethargy, extremely bad breath, decreased urination and jaundice. Any or all could be a sign of a serious condition such as internal bleeding or kidney/liver failure, requiring immediate veterinary attention. Veterinarians caution pet parents to never attempt inducing vomiting at home using hydrogen peroxide (a common solution found online) until consulting a veterinarian.
So take a few minutes this month to go through your home and secure any harmful substances – your pets will thank you for it in the long run even though you may have taken away the day’s entertainment!